Kadeck’s Topic Overview, provides a consolidated glance at all topic details and documentation. This article will guide you through what information you can find in this view and how to document your topic.
When you open the Data Catalog details page of a topic, the first thing you will see is the new Topic Overview tab. The existing Topic Configuration page has been moved to the second tab in the tab menu.
On the Overview page, you can find the following information:
- Topic name: The title of the topic.
- Records count: The total number of records associated with the topic.
- Partitions count: The total number of partitions within the topic.
- Topic size: The overall size of the topic.
- Data Owner: The owner of the data. You can assign or change an owner by clicking on “edit”.
- Labels: Any labels associated with the topic. You can add or remove labels by clicking on “edit”.
- List of views of that topic: A list of all views of this topic. Clicking a view will navigate to the view in the data browser.
These details are not new to Kadeck; they have simply been reorganized for a better viewing experience.
The topic documentation card is another addition to the Topic Overview tab. It serves as an editable and rich-text documentation for every stream. The following information is provided:
- Last update date: The date when the documentation was last updated.
- Last update user: The user who last updated the documentation.
- Documenation: A rich-text documentation of the stream.
Creating a Topic Documentation
- Navigate to the Topic Overview page: Open the Data Catalog and click on a topic. This will take you to the Topic Overview page.
- Find the Stream Documentation card: On the Topic Overview page, look for the "Stream Documentation" card on the right. If the topic does not have documentation yet, it should be empty.
- Begin creating your documentation: Click on the "Create Documentation" button. This will open the rich-text editor where you can start writing your documentation.
- Use the rich-text editor: Write your documentation using the rich-text editor. This editor supports formatting options like bold, italic, underline, bullet points, numbered lists, and more.
- Save your documentation: Once you're done writing and formatting your documentation, click on the "Save" button. This will store your documentation as a JSON object, which will be visible in the Stream Documentation card.
Editing a Topic Documentation
- Navigate to the Topic Overview page: Open the Data Catalog and click on a topic that has existing documentation.
- Find the Stream Documentation card: On the Topic Overview page, look for the "Stream Documentation" card on the right.
- Begin editing your documentation: Click on the "Edit Documentation" button. This will open the existing documentation in the rich-text editor.
- Use the rich-text editor: Make your desired changes or additions using the rich-text editor.
- Save your documentation: Once you're done editing, click on the "Save" button. Your changes will be saved, and the updated documentation will be visible in the Stream Documentation card.
Any changes you make to the documentation will be logged for audit purposes, and you must have TopicAccessRead rights to create or edit documentation.
Users need TopicAccessRead rights to access the Topic Overview tab.
Any creation or updating of the stream documentation will be logged in the audit log.